Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Moss Terrarium for $0

When baby sleeps, mama plays. I *should* be folding laundry and doing the dishes but housework is boring so I decided to make a little terrarium instead. A good friend of mine (Linky to her blog) bought Miss Priss a terrarium for Christmas this year and it seemed like a fun little project to undertake. I had left over potting soil in the garage from  planting our spring vegetable garden, there were a couple of jars sitting around collecting dust in my kitchen cabinet, I used rocks from our driveway, and the moss was growing under a shrub in the backyard. Oh and I have a ton of polymer clay to make little mushrooms to decorate with so this project literally cost me nothing...$0.
Mossy in my flower bed












So first things first: clean your jar(s). A little soap and water to knock all the dust off.
2. Go outside and put some rocks or gravel at the bottom of your jar. This will help with drainage and prevent mold from building up.
3. put some potting soil or dirt in your jar.
4. add moss and arrange so it looks pretty. At this point you can plant a tiny little shade plant in your terrarium if you want to. I just stuck with the moss.
5. put a little water in your jar and wait for it to soak in. You want your rocks in the bottom to be wet.
6. Add the details. I made some mushrooms out of polymer clay. They were super simple to make. I put a pin in the bottom before I baked them so I'd have a little spike to poke my mushroom down into the moss.
*NOTE*
do not fill your jar too full with soil. I totally failed on my first one. I had no room to add "stuff" because I filled my little jar too full. My second attempt was with a mason jar so it was bigger and the project was more successful.
When I pulled up the moss I left some of the bark
attached. It give it more character




You can also do this project with fake moss and dirt. Here a couple of examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment